Saturday, September 6, 2008

The power of connection


Yesterday, had the most wonderful and surprising lunch, and continued to learn about the power of community and conversation. 

Let me start at the beginning. A few months ago, my husband and I were struggling to execute some of the ideas we had for our business...a bit of tension, a lot of conversation about work stuff and a realization that there were so many things in my mind that I wanted to give voice to or see come to fruition. Some stuff was personal ( hence this blog ) and some stuff was more creative, a desire to be inspired, to collect to capture so many of the wonderful people, places and things that I came across every day...In any event, I am not particularly good at sharing once in my mind. Coming from a family and a childhood that had more of a grin and bear it philosophy, I made my way through life with a smile on my face, a competitive spirit in my head and the ability to make the best of any situation...in the end, it has generally served me well. However, I have come to realize the power of feeling, conversation and community. 
There is no need to do everything myself, or to hold onto a mixture of feelings with out conversation..

Hence the start of my blogs. A bit of a late bloomer, or I might say someone how adapts things at their own speed, my husband and a few friends had been talking about some of their favorite blogs and how they would often go to read some of their favorites. For me, it was less about creating something for others to read, but more about giving voice to what was in my mind and connecting with all of the amazing  inspiring and creative folks that are out in the world.
In the last few months, I have been overwhelmed by what I have found. 

So earlier today, a woman that I had initially met in the Spring, and we had been talking with about our business, reached out to me for lunch. Not knowing the reason for her request, I looked forward to the lunch, as I enjoyed spending time with her, and talking about the retail industry..A few minutes after we ordered, she mentioned that she had read my ( this ) blog. 
Wow. Sort of my biggest fear....Didn't know people actually read it. Certainly did not want to blur the lines between some of my professional relationships and this journey into motherhood, fertility treatments, challenges in co-parenting and with an ex wife, stories from my childhood...you get the drift.
She had seen my link to my other blog on Linked in...and a few clicks away. Subconsciously, I know I want to live a totally connected life. Consciously, it scares the hell out of me. 
And then yesterday.

 Ironically, just the day before I had separated the links, so only my design site would come up. 
After yesterday's lunch, a desire to out the link back...

We had a real conversation. Who we were, how we had gotten there, heartbreak and learnings from the past years, our fears around getting pregnant and a conversation about life lessons and where they took us now.  
Understanding more of who she really was, and knowing that the power of honest conversation 
helps us all to learn, heal and develop.  I am so grateful for her courage to share and reach out, and most of all for better understanding every day that life is truly a journey and we are all in it together....it is how we choose to love, connect and support that makes it all meaningful. 




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Beautiful post!

Following your lovely blog and inviting you to add this at http://olahmomma.com/momlounge - a mommy blogger directory and more, where you can also meet more mom bloggers like you and get connected with them by visiting your profile after registration.

You can also add there your giveaways and business links; get featured by sharing your crafts, recipes and interesting musings.

Following us back is deeply appreciated. Thanks and have a great day!

http://olahmomma.com -- blogging and connecting blogging moms.
{all moms welcome}