Monday, July 21, 2008

The Art of the Start...Peek Aren't You Curious


As I sit here on a Sunday morning, I think about the choices we all make, active and inactive.  A few years ago, my ( now ) husband and I would talk about what we want our life to include and how we could go about making it happen. 

As we took walks together, we talked about his kids and how we wanted to spend our time as a family, as much time with the kids as possible, having children of our own, the opportunity to work with creative people, build a concept that we were truly proud of and one that held our beliefs and dreams. For the first time, I found myself giving voice to the boxes of children's clothes, books and toys I had collected from my years of travel and truthfully my hopes to start a family. The boxes that I could not open up litterally or conceptually over the years. As we talked, I kept thinking about how much I love children, the freedom of expression, the emotions that pour out of them, the world through their eyes. As a child myself, I had been fortunate in some ways and less so in others. I always imagined what it would be like to love and adore children of my own.  As we talked, ideas started to form. 

For years, I had been working for companies, with smart and creative people who often became some of my closest friends. I never planned my career with the exception of dilligently pursuing an internship in Retail during my Junior year in College. From there, I was lucky enough to work for and meet some great people along the way-ending up years later in a company that I basically grew up in. After fourteen years, and a change in Management, it was clear that it was finally time to move on. Moving on include a new job, a new city ( LA ) and a new outlook on life. It was if the world had completely opened up. 

Meeting Scott at work, I saw a different life. I found a partner who shared the same dreams and a love for life and adventure that I never new. We found in each other a balance between learning, growing and supporting each other and with that, dreams came pouring out of our hearts and heads. For now, it was about wanting and creating. 

As we stepped back, and really decided ( slowly at first ) to start our company I was incredibly optimistic and scared. The security that we had known for so long was gone, and yet it was as if that world no longer fit. This world is a new world-one of risk, adventure, learning, failure, joy and tremendous personal growth. It is taking some getting used to, mostly as I learn that it requires constant dedication, honesty and a commitment like nothing I have ever done. 

I think back at all that we have done and learned...Finding a partner, starting a business entity, creating a concept, finding an office space, registering our trademarks, developing a fund raising plan, partnering with great manufactures,  hiring the first team members, establishing creative partnerships, opening the first store, going to trade shows, creating all of the elements of the brand, sharing the concept with the real estate community, moving into a bigger office, reconnecting with old friends, getting and shipping our first order to Barney's, getting on Daily Candy...I would not have it any other way. 

To those who have joined us, all I can say is thank you for helping make our dreams come true. 

No comments: